Excavation & Entrance Permits
The Permit Application for Construction/Excavation or Entrance on Public Highways applies to sites that require access or site works in the Town of Halton Hills Right-of-Ways. There is an associated cost for these Permits and deposits are sometimes required because of the size of the work involved and possible damages to Town roads. Liability insurance in the amount of $5,000,000 may be required.
Reasons to attain an Excavation Permits:
- Also known as a “Road Cut”.
- Required for any works done in the road allowance within the Town of Halton Hills.
- Connection of private services to public services i.e. storm, wastewater, and water, as well as utilities.
- Altering the surface of a sidewalk, street, or boulevard.
2. Occupying the road allowance:
- Sometimes referred to as a “Construction Permit” in other municipalities.
- Required for construction or any works with the Town of Halton Hills road allowance or Town owned lands.
- Required for any works that could alter the road surfaces, sidewalk or boulevard.
- Occupying the road allowance
- Renting a bin
- Putting a crane on Town property
- There is a permit cost and a security deposit, which will be taken based on the scope of work (Transportation and Public Works User Fees).
- All works are at the Owner's expense.
- It is the permit holder’s responsibility to advise the Transportation and Public Works department that the work has been completed and request an inspection for security release.
(Required for any entrance work within a road allowance)
- Required for new entrances.
- Required for changes to existing entrances.
- There is a permit cost (Infrastructure Services User Fees).
- All works are at the Owner’s expense.
- It is the permit holder’s responsibility to advise the Transportation and Public Works department that the work has been completed.
- Entrance locations may be restricted in some cases by Zoning By-laws and Engineering Standards.
- New entrances
- Expanding driveway widths (in road allowance)
- Expanding depressed curb widths
- Culvert expansions