Environmental Advisory Committee
|Mandate:||To advise Council on environmental issues.|
Councillor Dave Kentner
Staff Contact: Renee Brown, Council and Committee Services Coordinator (905)873-2601 ext. 2333
Be a Locavore
Support local food producers, including farmers, by choosing locally-grown food. From Acton’s or Georgetown’s Farmers’ Markets, to our local producers’ onsite Farm and Retail Shops, locally-grown food is close to home. Simply shop locally for the freshest food!
Find Locally-Grown Food:
- Simply Local –Your Guide to Halton Farms
- Acton Farmers’ Market --Thursdays 3-7pm until October
- Georgetown Farmers’ Market –Saturdays 8am-12:30pm until October 20th 2012 (weather permitting)
- Other nearby Farmers’ Markets include:
- Guelph (Saturdays 7am-12pm year round, Wednesdays 3-7pm until October 31st 2012)
- Milton (Saturdays 7am-12pm until October 6th 2012)
- Erin (Fridays 3-7pm until September 28th 2012)
- Brampton (Saturdays 7am-1pm until October 6th 2012)
- Halton Fresh Food Box –a convenient once-a-month way to get local fresh fruits and vegetables delivered to a nearby pick-up location in Acton or Georgetown year-round.
Our Town’s own Chef Gerry Kentner has provided the following seasonal recipes to enjoy the best late summer and early fall produce.
Books, Articles and Other Resources:
- The 100-Mile Diet: A Year of Local Eating by Alisa Smith and J.B. MacKinnon, 2007.
- Locavore: From Farmers' Fields to Rooftop Gardens, How Canadians Are Changing the Way We Eat by Sarah Elton, 2010.
- The Ontario Table by Lynn Ogryzlo, 2011.
- Can-a-locavore-dream-of-public-produce-come-true? by Sarah Elton, Globe and Mail, 2012.
- Foodland Ontario --Food Facts, Availability, Recipes, Kids Activities, Restaurants Serving Locally Grown Food
- Ontario Culinary Tourism Alliance –Culinary Cultural Opportunities: connect with local growers, chefs and events
- Ontario Local Foods Nutrition Database –New Website by Len Piche and Yolanda Fung, Brescia College, UWO, 2012.