Please read this Privacy Statement completely before using or submitting information via this site.
Privacy Questions and Access
This site is maintained by:
The Town of Halton Hills
Halton Hills, ON
Tel: 905-873-2601 Ext. 2229
For more information regarding our website please email us
By using The Town of Halton Hills' Web site, you are accepting the terms of this Privacy Statement. Whenever you submit information via this site, you consent to the collection, use and disclosure of that information, personal or otherwise, as described in this Privacy Statement.
The Web site www.haltonhills.ca provides information primarily intended to support those engaged personally and professionally with the Town of Halton Hills, and its residents.
Cookies are not used in browsing
As part of the registration and browsing process we do not use a browser feature called a "cookie". A cookie is a piece of data that a Web site can send to your browser, which may then be stored on your computer as a small text file.
Personally Identifying Information
We are committed to providing you with an Internet experience that respects and protects your personal privacy choices and concerns. The Town of Halton Hills collects personally identifying information only when you specifically and knowingly provide it.
Collection and Use of Personally Identifying Information
Beyond the site registration described previously, The Town of Halton Hills collects and uses your personal information primarily for the purpose of providing you with the services you have requested from us, the information we collect is also used to communicate with you about your subscriptions and to provide you with information related to other The Town of Halton Hills publications and services.
Visitors may change their preferences at any time by e-mail to The Town of Halton Hills by calling the Corporate Services section at 905-873-2601.
If you have indicated that you are interested in receiving information from the Town of Halton Hills, your personal information would also be used by The Town of Halton Hills to contact you or to send you e-mail materials and other mailings on their behalf. Your personal information is never shared with third parties. The information submitted by them is fully screened by The Town of Halton Hills.
If you enter a contest or participate in other promotional activities offered by The Town of Halton Hills, your personal information will be used to administer the promotion, including the use of your name and selected other information for the purposes of contacting, announcing and promoting the winners of the promotion.
The Town of Halton Hills may also contact you from time to time to conduct research and surveys in our ongoing effort to improve our product and service offerings, or to invite your editorial comments for articles being developed for publication.
The Town of Halton Hills will not release your personal information to a third party without your authorization unless required to by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary in order to conform to the edicts of the law or to comply with a legal process serviced on our Web site.
The Town of Halton Hills will only ask you to provide personal information that we need, when we need it. We will always explain why we need the information and what we intend to do with it.
We will seek your prior consent to the collection, use and disclosure of personally identifying information and you can refuse such consent. You may also withdraw your consent at a later time by giving us reasonable notice. We will notify you in advance of any change in our intent for the use or disclosure of your personally identifying information.
Your personal information will not be used for any other purpose without your consent.
In order to effectively provide the products and services you have requested, The Town of Halton Hills may share your personal information with selected third parties who act on our behalf as suppliers or service providers. Examples include bonded mailing houses for processing and labeling items, including publications, prior to mailing; and, Canada Post and other distributors and carriers. We provide only the information required to perform the requested service. Information provided to third parties in these circumstances may only be used for the stated purpose. It is our practice to require third party suppliers to handle information in a manner consistent with The Town of Halton Hills' policies.
From time to time we may supplement information you give us via our Web site with information we acquire from other sources, such as information to validate your address, or company information available through sources such as business directories. This is to help us maintain consistency and accuracy of the information we collect and to help us provide a better service.
In addition, your personally identifiable information may be gathered, processed or used by www.haltonhills.ca to authenticate you when you want to update your personal profile or to log on to select www.haltonhills.ca services; to support customer questions about the use of www.haltonhills.ca; to help you manage/modify your profile; to troubleshoot problems accessing your account, modifying your profile, changing your newsletter preferences, etc; to show advertisers in aggregate form the demographic profile of our audience.
Non-Personally Identifying Information Collected Automatically
Our Web server logs information about visitors that is not personally identifiable. Examples of this type of information include the type of Internet Browser you are using, the type of computer operating system you are using, and the domain name of the Web site from which you linked to our site.
Also, when we collect personal data from you in a transaction, we may extract some information about that transaction in a non-identifiable format and combine it with other non-identifiable information. This information is used and analyzed only at an aggregate level to help us: understand trends and patterns; improve the content and design of the Town of Halton Hills Web site; to enable the Town to verify traffic to the site; and, to help staff assess the suitability of the site. This information is not reviewed at an individual level.
Links to Non-Town of Halton Hills Web Sites
While The Town of Halton Hills will seek to require third parties with whom it has agreements to follow appropriate privacy policies, we do not bear any responsibility for any actions or policies of such third parties.
This site contains links to other sites not owned or controlled by The Town of Halton Hills. The Town of Halton Hills is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such Web sites.
The 10 Principles of Fair Information Practices
- Accountability: An organization is responsible for personal information under its custody and shall designate an individual or individuals who are accountable for the organization's compliance with the following principles
- Identifying Purposes: The purposes for which personal information is collected shall be identified by the organization at or before the time the information is collected.
- Consent: The knowledge and consent of the individual are required for the collection, use or disclosure of personal information, except where inappropriate.
- Limiting Collection: The collection of personal information shall be limited to that which is necessary for the purposes identified by the organization. Information shall be collected by fair and lawful means.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention: Personal information shall not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as required by law. Personal information shall be retained only as long as necessary for the fulfilment of those purposes.
- Accuracy: Personal information shall be as accurate, complete and up-to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
- Safeguards: Personal information shall be protected by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
- Openness: An organization shall make readily available to individuals specific information about its policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
- Individual Access: Upon request, an individual shall be informed of the existence, use and disclosure of his or her personal information, and shall be given access to that information. An individual shall be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate.
- Challenging Compliance: An individual shall be able to address a challenge concerning compliance with the above principles to the designated individual or individuals accountable for the organization's compliance.