Georgetown Action Sports Needs Assessment
Purpose of Study:
The purpose of this study is to confirm needs for new action sports opportunities in Georgetown, and develop prioritized implementation strategy. A focus of this project will be to specifically review hard-surface action sports parks (i.e. Skate Parks).
- To identify the best opportunities to improve action sports in Georgetown to continue serve youth, young adults and children, and active families by providing non-structured opportunities for active recreation.
- To confirm the need for additional action sports facilities in Georgetown while integrating with the other Recreational Facilities and Recreational Programs in Georgetown
- To advance and confirm the objectives of the Strategic Action Plan and Youth Needs Assessment regarding Skateparks/Action Sports
- To identify the highest priorities for implementation in the short,mid and long-term.
- To provide a framework to engage local community groups or residents to raise funds through a Joint Capital Initiative
To provide clarity in the desired next steps to improve action sports in Georgetown, and define a priority and implementation strategy.
Update: June 8, 2017:
The Georgetown Action Sports Needs Assessment is complete and was approved by Council May 29, 2017. The Town will be proceeding with the top priority recommendation, designing of a community skatepark and 2 mulit-purpose courts at the Gellert Community Park. This design and community consultation will take place in 2017 with construction taking place, pending budget approval, in 2018.
Browse these documents to learn more:
- Georgetown Action Sports Needs Assessment Final Report (PDF)
- Summary of long survey (PDF)
- Summary of short survey (PDF)
Summer 2017: Public consultation for design (more info to come)
2018: Pending budget approval, construction of new skatepark and multipurpose courts at Gellert Community Park
For more information contact:
Mark Taylor, OALA, CSLA
Snr Landscape Architect
Town of Halton Hills
1 Halton Hills Drive
Halton Hills ON L7G 5G2
Email: Mark Taylor
Phone: 905-873-2601 ext. 2267